Monday, 2 May 2011

Memories

Isn't it amazing how one simple image or person that you see in your youth can influence your whole style, outlook on life, who you want to be and how you want to live your life. I had that experience when I was on 16 on a student exchange in Spain. Myself and a couple of the other students had been taken to a summer festival type thing one night over in Madrid. There was a big park with stalls set up and areas sectioned off for bands playing music, dancing troops leaping around in brash colours and people just chilling on the grass. I vividly remember sitting against the railings watching the bustling, energetic crowds all moving in a consistent ebb and flow. Then something caught my eye because there was a different type of energy and movement happening. There was a woman in her late 30's walking as if oblivious to the excited movement all around her. She had long flowing blonde hair with a couple of thin braids sewn into it. She wore a white kaftan type top that flowed with her fluid movements and a long pale skirt with bare feet. She had a simple rope bracelet and a long chain around her neck. She was exuding such a strong energy, one that was calm and serene and to me seemed to supersede the madness surrounding her. I couldn't take my eyes off her!
Even though there is the whole nature and nurture shaping who you become in life, I can't help but think it was that one moment that influenced who I wanted to become. My own life at that time and pretty much always had been surrounded in a madness and chaos that I think had been becoming increasingly difficult to deal with. So that image had stuck with me as if symbolizing a way of being able to move through the commotion with ease, patience and tranquility. So that's one of the memories that I hold as an imprint on my psyche...

Photo from: www.portfo.li

Photo from: http://www.fashionmommaintraining.com
Photo by Breedl on Deviant Art


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...